Saturday, July 25, 2026

Just once more

 Just once more, I'd like to walk through a winter forest where all is quiet. To sit on a stump and wait for a fallen branch to snap under the weight of a woodland animal.

Once more I'd like to sit on golden sands as small waves break around me and the smell of the sea lingers.
Once more I'd like to hold my children when they were babies and tell them I'd always be there for them, then see if I was.
Once more I'd like to be in love, if only in my dreams. I want to feel her softness and taste her lips as we stroll hand in hand on a street made of bricks. Once more, I'd ride the steepest rollercoaster and ride my Harley through the mountains in autumn splendor.
Once more, I'd like to remember my childhood and all the parts I played, from superhero to baseball legend. I'd relive my life in slow motion so as not to miss one precious moment.
Once more I'd tell myself I did okay on this earth enough to earn my place above where the angels soar.
I would go fishing with my son and have a grown-up tea party with my daughter. I would sit on a front porch looking out over the endless fields of corn we played in as kids. I'd hold my mom's hand wherever we were and always see my dad as my hero. I would write one more story the world would read, and one kept close to my heart for my eyes only. There are way too many things I'd like to do just once more, but the one that tops my list is I'd like to dance with the girl of my dreams, to hold her so close I'd hear her heartbeat just once more.
Mike  2026                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment